Super foods are those which pack a real nutrient punch and provide special nutrition that improves health in multiple ways. An example are the omega-3 fatty acids. They have been shown to decrease heart disease, increase weight loss, reduce depression and boost your immune system. Now that's a super food!
Besides the omega-3's here is a list of ten more super foods no diet should be without:
1) Spinach- The darker green vegetables are full of phytonutrients and antioxidents that bolster your immune system and protect against many degenerative diseases.
2) Almonds are packed with iron, magnesium, vitamin E, fiber and very healthy fats.
3)Yogurt is a great protein source and is filled with probiotics (healthy intestinal bacteria) which keeps your digestive system running smoothly.
4) Tea is full of nutrients and antioxidents. Green tea is especially good for those trying to lose weight.
5) Blueberries, strawberries and other berries are plum full of antioxidents, fiber and great flavor. The darker the berry the greater the nutritional value.
6) Garlic has been used over the ages to fight almost all ailments. It contains allicin which improves immune function, relieves pain and improves digestive health.
7) Beans are loaded with fiber, antioxidents and are a good source of protein.
8) Walnuts are like almonds. They contain vitamins, minerals and have very healthy heart benefits.
9) Cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower or brussel sprouts are full of fiber, phytochemicals and antioxidents which support maxmimal bodily functioning.
10) Bell peppers are high in vitamin c, full of beta carotene and extra low in calories.
Adding the above foods to your diet will greatly improve your health, so find a way to fit them in to your daily nutritional plan. Like most super foods they are also good for weight loss. The vegetables, beans, berries and nuts have fiber which keeps your colon running smoothly. Simutaneously your body absorbs less calories. The omega-3 fatty acids have plenty of weight loss enhancing research behind them as does garlic.
Eat these nutrient dense superfoods to your hearts content. They will enhance you overall health and help tip the scales in your favor.
Dr. Lanny Schaffer is an Exercise Physiologist and the President of The International Fitness Academy. For more cutting edge nutritional and fitness information go to http//:www.aerobic-exercose-coach.com