If you ask any nutrition expert whats the secret to healthy eating they will undoubtedly tell you that moderation, variety and a good balance are the most important aspect of healthy eating. By adopting these 3 principles you will ensure that your diet is healthy and beneficial to you. We have listed a few more helpful tips below.
1. You need to eat a wide variety of nutrients to keep healthy. When buying food check out the packaging and see how many nutrients and vitamins each item contains. Your body requires over 40 of these nutrients to remain healthy by getting a regular supply you will be going a long way towards keeping your body healthy.
2. Start to add more meals that include Vegetables , fruit and whole grains to your regular diet. It has recently been discovered that the vast majority of Americans don't eat enough of these foods. By finding tasty recipes based around them you can start o include more fruit, vegetables and whole grains in your diet on a regular basis.
3. look at the size of your portions. Try to reduce the size of each serving. this will reduce calories and leave you less full so you can finish a meal with some fruit.
4. Eat regularly. Try to get into a routine where you eat meals at a set time everyday. Between those meals have some small snacks like fruit or whole grain bars. These snacks will stop you from feeling hungry. Hunger can be your worst enemy when trying to adopt a healthier diet as it will encourage to grab foods that give you a sugar rush.
5. You do not need to eliminate but instead reduce certain foods. So if your favorite foods are high in fat, salt or sugar then eat them in moderation.
6. Also use skimmed or low fat dairy products as well as lean cuts of meat will help to reduce a persons fat intake.
As we have said above by switching to smaller portions you can still enjoy your favorite foods. This can be difficult when you are eating out but you can over come it by sharing with a friend or asking to take half the meal away in a doggy bag.
It is important that any changes you make to your diet should be done gradually and do not expect to be able to totally revamp your eating habits overnight. But hopefully the advice on eating healthy provided above will help you on your way to leading a much healthy sort of life.